Grand jury issues statutory rape indictmentBy DEMETRIUS THOMPSON,
The Newton County Eighth District Circuit Court grand jury convened on Monday, Sept. 25 and handed down indictments for 18 suspects.
James Karl Ray was indicted for statutory rape and sexual battery of a child under the age of 14 on May 27, 2016. The victim is referred to as E.W. in court documents. Also indicted were:
• Jessica Algahaim was indicted for auto burglary for stealing a 2007 Chevrolet truck owned by James Axton Miller on Aug. 8, 2017.
• Juan Brown was indicted for possession of more than two grams of methamphetamine on April 9, 2016.
• Michael T. Cook was indicted for simple assault on a law officer for kicking Newton County deputy Ryan Myers in the chest on April 19, 2017.
• Tammy Renee Adkins was indicted for possession of methamphetamine on Jan. 5, 2017.
• Jeremie Brandon Davis was indicted for possession of methamphetamine and marijuana on Feb. 28, 2017.
• LaJason Tameka Jones was indicted for the trafficking of more than 30 grams of methamphetamine on July 28, 2016.
• Reginald Wesley was indicted for the burglary of a dwelling owned by Berwyn Rigdon on Feb. 11, 2016.
• Marvin Norris Jr. was indicted for possession of methamphetamine, oxycodone, hydrocodone and acetaminophen on Oct. 29, 2016.
• Chancey Lee Dansby was indicted for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and unlawful possession of a firearm or weapon by a convicted felon on Feb. 3, 2017.
• Christopher Charles Walker was indicted for malicious mischief of a habitual offender for destroying a Spectra camera system operated by the Newton County Sheriff’s Office on March 31, 2017; possession of contraband in a correctional facility on May 6, 2017 and on March 25, 2017.
• Carlos Roncoli was indicted for possession of a cell phone at the Newton County jail on Aug. 22, 2016.
• Joseph Gordon Cheatwood was indicted for the taking away of a motor vehicle for stealing a 1999 Ford F-150 owned by George Williams on Sept. 5, 2015.
• Ansel Wade Dean was indicted for possession of a firearm by a convicted felon for having a 410 gauge shotgun on March 10, 2017/
• Dandre Detrail Ducksworth was indicted for possession of a cell phone at Newton County jail on June 1, 2017.
• Alton Dewayne Chaney was indicted for possession of a firearm on Nov. 17,2016.
• Kendall T. Green was indicted for the burglary of a storage building on April 18, 2017.
• Christopher Johnson was indicted for possession of more than 30 grams of marijuana on Aug. 1, 2016.
The trials for the defendants are set for Dec. 11.