Community calendar 6/20/18
Friends of Newton County Libraries to host book signing
The Friends of Kemper-Newton County Libraries will host a book signing for Decatur author Amanda Tero and illustrator Natalie Nelson from 2-4 p.m. Thursday, June 21 at the Union Public Library. Tero and Nelson will be signing copies of their recent collaboration, the short story “Quest for Leviathan.” For more information visit amandatero.com or the Kemper-Newton Regional Library System’s Facebook page.
MSU Extension Office to host Happy Healthy Thursdays
The Mississippi State University Extension Service of Newton County will be hosting Happy Healthy Thursdays at noon throughout June at the Decatur office. They will be demonstrating new, healthy recipes and will have food tastings.
Everyone is welcome to participate. Call the office to reserve your spot at 601-635-7011.
McElroy Hoye House to hold grand opening on June 21
The Newton Historical Cultural Commission invites you to the grand opening and ribbon cutting ceremony of the McElroy Hoye House, a Mississippi Landmark, at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, June 21. Special guest speakers will be attending. The public is invited to celebrate a historical home in Newton on 400 East Church Street, Newton.
Edwards to hold family reunion at Pine Grove Baptist
The Edwards family reunion will be held at noon Saturday, June 23 at Pine Grove Baptist Church, House. Family members are asked to bring a covered dish.
Killens to hold family reunion
The Killens family will hold its reunion on Saturday, June 24 at the Sistrunk Pavilion in Sebastopol. Family members are asked to come and enjoy seeing their family again.
Turkey Creek to host July 4th fireworks display
Turkey Creek Water Park. 142 Parkway, Decatur, will host its first ever Independence Day fireworks display at 9 p.m. Tuesday, July 3. The price of admission will cost $10 per vehicle.
Conehatta School to host school reunion
Conehatta School alumni will host their class reunion starting at 10 a.m. Saturday, July 7 at Conehatta Club House.
Newton Chamber to host third ‘Picnicking in the Park’
The Newton Chamber of Commerce is hosting their third free ‘Picnicking in the Park’ event from 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, July 10 in Knabusch Park (the park behind the Depot). The free concert will feature guest speaker Pamela Edwards with Weems Mental Health Center and the Smarter Choices Community Coalition, free face-painting for kids by H&R Block and entertainment by The Junior Angels. Food will be available for purchase by Zack Garvin’s Original Steakhouse. Contact the Newton Chamber at 601-683-2201 for more details.
KNRLS Summer Reading Program continues
The Kemper-Newton Regional Library’s Summer Reading Program is currently underway. This year’s theme is “Library’s Rock” and many of this summer’s events will be centered around music. Here is the remaining schedule for the Union, Newton and Decatur branches:
• Today – Decatur: 3-4 p.m. make your own rain stick
• 3-5 p.m. Friday, June 22, Newton – Movie night: “Surf’s Up 2”
• 3-4 p.m. Wednesday, June 27 Decatur – make your own shaker
• 2-4 p.m. Thursday, June 28, Union – Dash program
• 3-5 p.m. Friday, June 29, Newton – Movie night: “Finding Dory”
• 3-4 p.m. Tuesday, July 3, Newton – Painting for prevention
• 2-3 p.m. Thursday, July 5, Union – brass instrument petting zoo
• 3-5 p.m. Friday, July 6, Newton – Movie night: “The Secrets of NIMH”
• 2-3 p.m. Monday, July 9, Union – make your own pet rocks for ages 5-12
• 1-2 p.m. Tuesday, July 10, Newton – family ice cream
• 10-10:30 a.m. Wednesday, July 11, Union – toads and tutus story time; 3-4 p.m. Decatur – make your own musical jar
• 2-3 p.m. Thursday, July 12, Union – woodwind instrument petting zoo
• 3-5 p.m. Friday, July 13, Newton – Movie night “The Hunchback of Notre Dame”
• 2-3 p.m. Monday, July 16, Newton – Rock candy Part 1 for teens and young adult
• 3-4 p.m. Wednesday, July 18, Decatur – make your own tambourine
• 2-3 p.m. Thursday, July 19, Union – strings instrument petting zoo
• 2-3 p.m. Monday, July 23, Newton – Rock candy Part 2 for teens and young adult
• 10-10:30 a.m. Wednesday, July 25, Union – Toads and tutus story time; 3-4 p.m. Decatur – Make your own windchime
• 2-3 p.m. Thursday, July 26, Union – Percussion instrument petting zoo
• 3-5 p.m. Friday, July 27, Newton – Movie night: “Leap!”
Extension service to host third annual ‘Christmas in July’ learning session
Newton County’s Mississippi State University Extension Service will be sponsoring a morning of educational sessions for the community on Wednesday, July 25 at MSU Experiment Station, Newton. Included in the event will be how-to instructions on decorating dining areas with local greenery, directed by Jim DelPrince. Registration costs $10. Other experts from around the state will be converging to deliver this information at the event.
Email announcements to Demetrius Thompson at email@example.com.